Tuesday 16 June 2015

A rainy 15k run

On Sunday June 14th, I completed the Nike Women's 15k. 

This run was a pretty big deal. Nike made a huge deal out of it, there was so much hype around it, they were giving out Tiffany's necklaces as the medal...it was really well prepared and put together. It was also the first in Toronto, which made it that much more exciting. So, besides this run being a big deal for the running community it was a big deal for me personally. This was the longest distance I've ever run and a big stepping stone into the half marathon world. It was my introduction into running with water and electrolytes, my first time running with gummies and my first exciting course run!

Typically the night before a run I don't sleep, like at all. I get too nervous and excited and I can't sleep. I'm not sure why, but I was able to sleep a bit more the night before this race. Either I'm getting used to racing or I was just really tired. So I woke up with a bit more energy, grabbed a bagel at Tim Horton's and off I went with my buddy Angie Gardiner (aka. My officially running groupie). 

My race morning didn't go off perfectly as planned- I lost my wave number which put me back 2 waves...which in retrospect was probably a blessing in disguise. Basically this meant we got to the island WAY earlier than necessary and hung out and waited for hours. Needless to say, I found my wave 5 bracelet at the end of the day stuck to my shoe.

Now, I want to say I went out raring, quickly and ready for it but I really wasn't sure what to expect. The route was overly crowded- extremely crowded (10,000 people is a lot on a small island). There was no break in runners until about the 6k mark...so just after the airport- which easily was the highlight of the entire race. Running next to landing air planes, on the Tarmac of an airport I use in the greatest city was an experience like no other. And the view was breathtaking (see below for a picture I got while running!)

So the actual run- I was really impressed with myself. I managed to run about 11k without stopping. Do you all know what means?! My wall has been pushed back! So, at the 11k mark I hate to say this but I almost gave up. I had enough and was bribing myself to keep running. I literally promised myself new running shoes if I finished the race- running shoes I was going to buy anyways! (I bought them...)


Here's the I need to pick a bone...Mother Nature. What was the reason for the rain? Did you really want to test everyone's strength and endurance? Well you did- and I'm pretty sure we showed you what to do with the shitty weather you gave us. People were telling me all about how great it is to train in this weather- which I believe- except it sucked. Being cold, wet, soggy and moist (you're welcome Stephen) was easily the worst part of the entire day.


Ok, back to the race. Once I realized I was back where I started on the course I quite literally gunned it. I'm not sure where the strength or energy came from but I saw the finish line sign and I have never run so fast. Knowing the end was right there was the last push I needed. So I crossed that finish line- basically crying, screaming and ready for water. I got through all the lines, smushed my apple on the ground (by accident and I was about miserable it too) and off I went in search of my Tiffany's necklace and my groupie! 

Needless to say- it took roughly 2 hours to get off the island. Which was not the best ending to the race, but all I could think about was food, warmth and a shower. 

I need to give credit where credit to a big group of people... 
1) To the pace bunny who saw me walking, tapped me on the shoulder and said "come on, you're almost there! Keep it up!" Thank you- that push was perfect. 
2) To the Nike staff handing out high fives like candy- that single high five pushed me another kilometer! 
3) To the island residents at the 13k mark who reminded me I was almost there- you are truly amazing 
4) To the 14k sign blowing in the wind and rain- thank you for showing me how close the end was 
5) To my most special friend and running groupie Angie Gardiner- knowing your face was at the end was the last push. And then seeing your face made me book it so I knew I was done! 
6) To my amazing friends and family sending me Facebook messages and texts the entire race- although I didn't read them while running (for obvious reasons I hope), the ding of my phone told me you were thinking of me and pushing me through it. 


Having taken a bit of time to reflect on this race, I want to say I'm proud of myself. I accomplished something I never thought I could accomplish. Who ever thought I would be running 15k races? No one probably. But I'm also disappointed. I wanted that time. Could I have pushed myself a little more- oh definitely. Could I have not walked? Most likely. Could I improve for next time? Absolutely! But what kind of runner would I be if I was solely proud of this accomplishment? How would I learn from it and make myself better for next time? 


And so the journey continues...this is a bit of a break week for me- my half marathon training programs starts up June 25th! I've got new running shoes, new socks and hopefully some refreshed legs!


Check out some photos from the race! 


Way too early- ready to go!



Training buddy!



View of the city from the Billy Bishop Tarmac!



I DID IT!



Finally on the boat, getting off the island...just 2 hours later...



My times



The route!







No comments:

Post a Comment