Tuesday 2 June 2015

These are my confessions...

Before we really get into this, there are a few things you should all know...

1) I am easily the laziest and least disciplined runner I can possibly be. I almost called this blog "the lazy runner". I will cut every corner I can, I will slow down to get a break at lights just because, I will "skip" a run because of stupid reasons...I am absolutely the laziest runner I could be.

2) I hate the lead up to running. It's the worst. The idea of having to pull on tight pants and a tight shirt and a bra that supposedly holds the girls in tight, and tie running shoes and pack my little pouch thing...it's dreadful. Typing it out is making me hate it even more. If someone did all of this for me, I would enjoy running so much more.

3) I hate the physical process of running. It's so tedious and my body is like "what are you doing to me and for what reason?". But I equally love it. When I haven't done it for a while my body is like "Why haven't you put your feet in front of the other quickly in such a long time?"

4) I have total runners envy. I'm jealous of everyone who can run faster than me (and I really don't run fast at all). I'm jealous of how other runners look compared to me. If I'm not running I'm jealous of whoever I see running. If I am running I'm jealous of a runner going faster than me, or of someone running with someone. If there's a reason to be jealous of a runner- I feel it.

5) The only real satisfaction I get from running is the end of it. When I look at my route map, or have that medal around my neck is the only reason I run.

6) I'm encouraged to run by constantly having new running things. I will literally buy anything that has to do with running because it keeps me motivated. If anyone has any recommendations for a new purchase I'm all ears.

7) I am not a morning runner, but for the rest of my life I will attempt to be. The idea of waking up earlier than I need to makes me more tired.

8) I hate hill training, speed training and long runs. The idea of running being even harder than it needs to be is dreadful. Utterly dreadful.

9) I'm the absolute WORST for stretching (consider this warning for many complaints ahead). But I am going to use this as a commitment to stretch more. But, my foam roller and weird wiggly ball thing and spiky red tennis ball will always be my best friends after a run.

10) The friends I've made, although a tiny group, are a major support system and a major source of encouragement for me. I'm excited to make more friends at the High Park running room. 

11) I love running quotes. I have an entire pinterest board dedicated to them. They keep me motivated.

12) I need to start this one out by saying that I appreciate everyone, but I can't stand when people tell me I'm an inspiration. I can appreciate the sentiment, but I am the least inspirational runner out there (lazy, remember). I don't feel inspirational, especially when I haven't run in awhile or I'm having weak runs, and especially if I skip a run while training for a big race. That is not inspiring, that is Natalie being lazy. It's also a lot to carry on my already exhausted (from running) legs. I love hearing how proud people are of me but I want us to all to be inspired by each other!

13) I will literally soak up any running knowledge I can, because I know so little about it. I have purchased more books than I can read, have a stack of magazines that just grows each month and I can't get enough. SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME!

14) I'm absolutely terrified to run a half marathon. Scared out of my mind for the time commitment, the actual process, that I'm not good enough, that I won't finish it, that I'll get injured. You name it, I'm scared of it. 

15) My running wall is hit at the 7.5km mark. It's the worst feeling to push past that point and takes more mental strength than I ever knew I had. My wall doesn't seem to want to push any further which makes running a real challenge. It also makes running beyond 7.5km a real challenge on my own. 

1 comment:

  1. I will be the FIRST one to tell you that you admitting to be a lazy runner, letting us know the challenges you face and being REAL about the process makes you even more inspirational (to me)! You let other lazy people (like me) know that it's never too late to start something. I used to be the first person to swear off running and I had my own list of excuses of why I couldn't which always out weighed why I could. I now find myself debating the idea of starting to run. Often times thinking of all the things you have said to me that has helped shape this new "view" on running. So THANK you for sharing your confessions, and continue to kill your wall! (I know you have smashed in since this post... keep it up!!) xo

    ReplyDelete