Tuesday 9 June 2015

Nike Women's 15km!

For some crazy reason I decided to register for a 15km race, while in the process of training for a 10km race. I knew I wanted to run the half marathon in October and needed a way to keep pushing myself, so a 15km race seemed like it made the most sense.

Practically speaking it does if I want to build up to a half marathon. Work from a 5km to a 10km to a 15km to a half marathon. Well that would be practical for someone who wasn't lazy and had some kind of discipline (so anyone but me). 

In my training for this 15km run I've experienced quite a few feelings I was unfamiliar with in the past. Like needing to use the washroom mid run, like stopping to buy water because I may collapse otherwise, feeling as though I wanted to vomit mid run (that's by far the scariest and worst), knowing that running with music no longer helps me but running with people does, getting my breathing under control in the first km sets me up for a successful run, I need to eat before running...the list goes on. 

The most important thing I've learned is that, this whole running thing may be hard (that's an understatement) but the accomplishment every Sunday after I've reached a new distance, or I've set a new PR is what make its all worth it. 

My training for this 15km run has been halted by so many things- most of which is my laziness and lack of discipline- but deep down I know I'm going to do it and I'm going to be so proud when I do. I may not reach my goal time, I may not finish strong but I will finish it. 

And the first thing that will happen in reflecting will be the ways I could've run it faster, where I slipped up, why I took a walk break when I easily could've pushed past...

But will that matter when I've got that medal around me neck? Probably not...


Completed my first solo Sunday run! Had to get a picture of my shocked and proud face! 13 lonely, solid, completed kilometres! 
The 15k is this Sunday June 14th! Wish me luck!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you again, referenced yourself as lazy! I am beyond excited for your run this Sunday! I do wish it was next weekend.. but that is only for my own selfish reasons! I love reading about the things that you face, and yes... you're starting to encourage me to attempt to run.. well done! Keep up the good work Nat, so proud of ALL that you have accomplished and can't wait to see everything else you'll achieve!

    ReplyDelete